Wednesday, December 9, 2009

They are humans too...

As I previously mentioned. Throughout this internship I have been reading several texts and books that have helped me to gain a better understanding of the prison system. Another book that I have been reading is entitled, Undoing Time: American Prisoners in their Own Words edited by Jeff Evans. This book, it just a book of stories written by prisoners from people incarcerated all over the United States. This particular text has been eye opening for me because this book actually takes you into the mind and experiences of The United States incarcerated humans. I use the word humans because prior to starting this internship I struggled with the idea as prisoners at anything other than prisoners. This is an issue that until now, until after working in the prison system, I would have never realized. In society we tend to talk about the idea of a prison, and the institution of the prison system, but in general “prisons” are abstract ideas; a human face is never really placed on prisoners. I am guilty of this as well.

Throughout the semester, surprisingly my blog has maintained somewhat of a steady audience of readers. Though many of my readers do not comment in text on my actual blog, their comments have played an important role in conversations since. This week I was confronted about my use of the word “prisoners” in my blog. I though this question to be a bit puzzling. My answer was simply, “that is what they are… they are prisoners.” My answer was followed by a look of astonishment. “When I read you blog, you paint a human face on these “prisoners,” you talk about sharing human feelings and understandings with them… yet you continually call them “prisoners.” You cluster them into this group, isn’t that what society does; we say the “wrong-doers, prisoners, inmates” but no one actually stops to hear about humans who are locked behind bars. Humans without rights… that is what your blog allows me to do, to stop and for the few minutes I’m reading you have given them a voice – they are humans…”

Wow. That has been my goal in this blog; I have wanted to help to dispute the negative stereotypes about prisoners and our prison system. In attempting to do so, at least for one person I was effective, but have I been critical enough of myself? I feel like this semester I have viewed myself (like I have been jokingly called) “superwoman.” Don’t take that the wrong way? But like most things, when you are doing something good or when you are helping someone – you feel good about yourself. I don’t think there is anything wrong with having those feelings and having the ability to be able to understand the immense impact of a good deed… but sometimes you can get wrapped up in those feelings. So if I care so much about the individuals that I teach, if each and every man in that class has touched me each in an individualistic way… then why can’t I think of them as individuals? When I started to think about the immensity of my actions – I wanted to stick my foot in my mouth… How could I do that? Was I even really making a difference?

I think my answer to that question is yes. While reading the book, Undoing Time: American Prisoners in Their Own Words, I saw it. “American Prisoners…” – Prisoners are what they are. Categorizing and grouping people is human nature. We do it every day of our lives; the inmates themselves refer to themselves as prisoners. It is not derogatory- it is reality. The truth is that sometimes reality stings. Being a prisoner is an instance where reality hurts a little. I sit and tutor 20-27 adult males every Thursday in Auburn State Penitentiary. Each and everyone one of those men have names, families, and most have children. My experience in the prison doesn’t allow me learn each and every inmate I tutor’s life story; but it does allow them to change mine. Though I may talk about each of the prisoners as in a group, they will each always have an individual space in my memories, and in my experiences. This experience not only allows me to grow and learn, but it also provides a space and opportunity to me to speak up, and raise awareness about the “forgotten Americans” – the prisoners.

Similarly, to Jeff Evans, the editor of this book, he did not live in the prison or experience half of what the writers of his book experienced. But Jeff Evans care enough to use his time to ensure their stories were heard, and that is all I could even hope to do.

References:

Evans, Jeff. Undoing Time: American Prisoners in Their Own Words. Boston: Northeastern University Press, 2001.

1 comment:

  1. I found this debate between you and a friend/reader. Like you, I think prisoner is an accurate label, and it is one that people use in prison as well. I think it also suggests another meaning that is perhaps more evocative: when you are a prisoner, you are imprisoned, and you are imprisoned by someone or something. In this case, the state is the imprisoner for the prisoner's breaking of the penal code (whatever part has been broken). But it's also worth asking the question, as you indicate here, how are we implicated in that imprisonment?

    ReplyDelete