Sunday, October 25, 2009

Origins

After thinking about last week, I really began to think about what the prisoners where talking about. I have family in the same position as them, but I am just like all of the other people (family and friends) these prisoners are talking about. I was always scared of prisons, and it was always ok for family to "ignore" those that are easy to ignore...

I don't want to ignore anymore....

Origins
By: Alonna Berry

We came from the same place
From the same gene pool
With the same heritage
Our grandmother grew up on a farm
She always filled the house with the smells of love
Our grandfather worked in a toy store
He always made Christmas fun
Our grandfather died before we knew him
Our Aunts and Uncles were the same
We went to the same family gatherings, reunions, and barbecues
Christmases and Thanksgivings we would eat at the same table
Our food served from the same spoon, made with the same caring hand
We played with the same dog: Princess
Our footsteps dissolved into the same yard
My father and his father were brothers
We were family – our blood is the same
Its color is no different
Our journeys started at the same point
Our paths took similar turns
But they eventually split
Here I am.
There he is
Sitting in Block C – Number 203
He is my family

2 comments:

  1. This was very thoughtful and touching. I'm sure we all can relate . I think at the end of the day, we have to realize that everybody is somebody, regardless of their status

    ReplyDelete
  2. I appreciate how you have laid claim to the common heritage you share with your incarcerated cousin sitting in Cell Block C, Number 203. That line really got me and brought home the finality of being incarcerated.

    This poems shows an understanding of commonality and that we are not as separate as we think we are. What the poem makes me wonder, too, is how being a young black woman vs. being a young black man is at work here. I wonder about the specific challenges and threats your cousin faced/faces.

    ReplyDelete